Ingredients and Instructions
- 2 Tbl oil
- 1 small cabbage (about 7 cups), chopped
- 1 medium onion (about 2 cups), chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried herbs (basil, oregano, parsley and/or thyme)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbl brown sugar (optional)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Black pepper and Hot pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add the onions and cabbage. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- If using ground beef, add it now. Cook 5-7 minutes or until it begins to brown.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, herbs, salt and brown sugar. Continue cooking for 20-30 minutes or until cabbage is soft and beef is cooked through.
- While soup is cooking, cook rice according to package directions.
- Right before serving, add rice to soup and enjoy.
All recipes ranked according to CHOP for nutritional quality