Ingredients and Instructions
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 bunch collard greens or kale
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbl vinegar
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbl oil
- Rinse greens in a large bowl of water. Lift greens out of the water, drain the bowl, and repeat 2-3 times or until there is no sand at the bottom of the bowl after rinsing.
- Strip leaves from the stem, roll the long way, and chop into thin ribbons. Leave the water on the greens to help steam them while they cook.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, let heat briefly. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes or until it starts to turn brown at the edges. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add greens, black pepper, and red pepper to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes. Leaves should be wilted but still bright green.
- Add tomatoes and vinegar to the pan. Bring to a boil and let simmer 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Add all ingredients except vinegar into a microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until greens are soft.
- Add vinegar and serve.
Makes 4 servings
All recipes ranked according to CHOP for nutritional quality