Volunteers help the Food Bank carry out our mission of feeding people in need in lots of important ways. The time you give helps us ensure all of our neighbors have enough and builds a strong, healthy community.
How Can You Help?
Individuals and groups are welcome. All opportunities have specific age and skill requirements, and require advance registration.
Advance registration allows us to plan projects and increases overall satisfaction. Please review the information below and contact us to register. Walk-in volunteer assignments are not permitted.
- Repack Center– Our repack center houses the heart of our volunteer program in our Duquesne Warehouse. Volunteers work hands-on sorting and repacking a variety of different donated and purchased products including bulk bins of cereal or produce, paper products, frozen meats and general food drive items. Volunteers must be 12+ years old to participate, and all minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Normal hours: Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – noon and 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. with occasional Saturdays from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (some closures apply)
- Senior Boxes– Also located in our repack center, senior boxes are a commodity box of nutritious food that is distributed to registered seniors in need. We pack about 6,000 boxes each month and use both groups and individuals to help us fulfill this need. Volunteers must be 12+ years old to participate, and all minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Hours: Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – noon, generally the last week of each month
- Produce to People (P2P)– P2P connects volunteers directly to the people we serve by distributing fresh, healthy grocery items in neighborhoods throughout our region. Volunteers can assist at six sites in Allegheny County and find out more information about regional county distributions by contacting us. Participation once reserved is very important to the success of the program! Volunteers must be 12+ years old to participate, and all minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Hours: Thursdays 4:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturdays 8:30 a.m. – noon
- Family Engagement Days– Once a month, we open our warehouse facility to families with kids as young as 6 years old. Through projects better designed for little helpers, families have the chance to work alongside each other in our effort to support the community. Each session includes a volunteer project and tour of the facility. For every two children under 12 there must one adult who remains with the children at all times. If there are three children, there must be two adults. Click here to reserve a spot.
- Hours: 3rd Saturday of the month, two sessions 9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. & 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank does not offer verification of hours served for court-ordered purposes. If you are seeking an organization to serve court-ordered hours with, please refer to www.pittsburghcares.org to search for opportunities.
Still have questions, or want to schedule an opportunity?
Email us at VolOps@pittsburghfoodbank.org or call 412-460-3663 x301