There are many children in the Pittsburgh area, who don’t get enough to eat. But, you and the Food Bank can help!
Pennies for Peanut Butter
- Fill a peanut butter jar full of pennies with your family, or start a jar-filling drive at your school!
- Did you know that one peanut butter jar holds about 800 pennies? The Food Bank can purchase nearly 8 additional jars with that $8!
- Download labels to tape on your peanut butter jars.
Throw a party!
- Instead of asking for presents at your next party, invite your friends and family to bring canned food items or a donation to the Food Bank.
- Remember, $1 = 5 meals to another child – your help goes a long way!
- Fill bags with supplies to help a family create a simple yet special birthday party for their child.
- Ideas for what goes inside the bag: 1 frosting mix, 1 cake mix, candles, table covering, napkins, paper plates, party noise makers and hats.
Start a Lemonade Stand
- Making lemonade at home and selling it in your yard or neighborhood event is a fun way to raise money for the Food Bank.
Grab and Go Bags
- Fill small brown paper lunch bags with snacks or a quick meal for a child on the go.
- Ideas for what goes inside the bag: Juicebox, individual serving cereal boxes, cheese or peanut butter crackers, pretzels, Goldfish crackers, Easy Mac. We suggest 4 or 5 items per bag.
- Some families cannot afford every item of their child’s school supplies list. Help them at the beginning of the year by donating school supply basics!
- Most needed items: Pencils, pens, crayons, markers, scissors, pencil holders, binder paper, glue sticks, erasers.
Lend a hand – Volunteer!
- Collect food and donations during Fall FoodShare at your local Giant Eagle grocery store. (Ages 4+, with adult supervision).
- Take a trip to a local farm and pick fruits and vegetables for families in need with our gleaning program (Ages 7+, with adult supervision).
- Help repackage food at our gigantic warehouse, or help give out food to families in need at Produce to People (Ages 12+, with adult supervision).
- Volunteer at special events like Empty Bowls and the Pittsburgh Blues Festival (Ages 16+).