The Advocacy Coordinator will educate governmental officials and Food Bank staff, Board of Directors, member agencies, clients, volunteers, supporters and donors about the extent and causes of hunger in Southwestern Pennsylvania and the role of government in addressing the problem. The Advocacy Coordinator will mobilize support for policies and programs to improve the food security of food insecure residents.
- Coordinate the Food Bank’s advocacy activities including letter writing campaigns, call-in days, and organizational sign-on letter opportunities. Develop and post email action alerts to engage Food Bank stakeholders and supporters, as well as creating content for the Food Bank’s monthly government affairs newsletter, website, advocacy blog and social media outlets.
- Organize advocacy campaigns including paper plate campaign, letter/message-writing campaign and call-in days.
- Recruit, train and coordinate the activities of Hunger Education and Advocacy Team (HEAT) members.
- Recruit, train and manage P2P Advocacy Liaison Leaders (PALs).
- Work with other Government Affairs and/or other Food Bank staff to write and publish advocacy blog posts on the Food Bank website.
- Act as a liaison between Government Affairs and Marketing and Communications to ensure Government Affairs issues are communicated via traditional and social media in a timely manner collaboratively tracking impact.
- Work with and across all Food Bank functional areas and departments to: Gather stories from people we serve and agency representatives to use in advocacy materials and efforts with elected officials and/or staff. Identify clients, volunteers, staff and agency representatives for advocacy opportunities (including presentation of testimony, writing letters to the editor or op/eds, and district office visits).
- Develop ways and coach for Board and staff to participate in advocacy efforts such as offering testimony, collaborating in district, Harrisburg and/or Washington D.C. visits, writing op-eds, letters to the editor or blog posts, and more.
- Participate in coalitions and work with other organizations on regional, statewide, and federal strategy and tactics.
- Collaborate with the development and coordination of the Senior Hunger Information Program.
- Input data into Salesforce Advocacy System.
- Prepare reports for Feeding America (NAR, Advocacy Hall of Fame), grants and others as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant academic program and three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to use analytical thinking and problem solving skills to identify and implement solutions to problems.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to present information in a format suitable to various individuals, groups and stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multifaceted demands; Ability to successfully handle multiple projects and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability, experience and willingness to work with diverse populations.
- Flexibility to attend evening and/or weekend meetings and/or events.
- Strong computer skills – knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Word Processing software; Excel Spreadsheet software; Publisher / Desktop Publishing software; PowerPoint; Internet software; and Project Management software. Experience with Salesforce and geographic information systems – a plus.
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and stand for long periods of time.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Act 33 & Act 34 Clearances
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities, duties, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply: Go to https://cssgpfb.sentrichr.com/?requisition=77 click apply, create a login, and fill out our online application.