The Southwestern PA School Breakfast Challenge 2019!
By Ryan Dunning
The challenge: increase participation in school breakfast.
Far too many low-income students aren’t getting the nutrition they need to support school success. School breakfast can help! When kids have a healthy breakfast, it not only supports good health but also enhances their ability to learn and succeed. On average, 123,000 low-income children eat school lunch each day in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Only 56.7 percent of these students are eating school breakfast. Help Pennsylvania become a Hunger-Free PA!
Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Somerset, Washington and Westmoreland counties are eligible to participate. All participating schools will receive a small prize courtesy of Adagio Health.
Registration for this challenge is closed. If you have any questions, please contact Chris West (412-745-6495 or email@example.com).
265 schools from 78 different school districts are participating in this year’s challenge!
- Allegheny Valley
- Avella Area School District
- Baden Academy Charter School
- Baldwin-Whitehall School District
- Beaver Area SD
- Bethlehem Center School District
- Big Beaver Falls Area
- Blacklick Valley S.D.
- Brentwood Borough School District
- Brownsville Area School District
- Canon McMillan School District
- Chartiers Valley School District
- City Charter High School
- Clairton City
- Conemaugh Valley
- Deer Lakes
- Derry Area
- Diocese of Greensburg Catholic Schools
- Diocese of Pittsburgh
- Duquesne City School District
- Ellwood City Area School District
- Forest Hills
- Franklin Regional
- Freedom Area
- Freeport Area
- Greater Johnstown
- Hopewell Area
- Indiana area school district
- Kiski Area
- Laurel School District
- Marion Center Area School District
- Meyersdale Area School District
- Moon Area School District
- Mount Pleasant
- New Brighton
- New Kensington Arnold School District
- North Allegheny
- North Hills School District
- North Star
- Northgate School District
- Penn Hills
- Penn Hills
- Penn-Trafford School District
- Pittsburgh School District
- Plum Borough School District
- Provident Charter School
- Quaker Valley School District
- Richland SD
- Riverside Beaver
- Rochester Area
- Shaler Area School District
- Shanksville-Stonycreek SD
- Shenango Area School District
- Somerset Area School District
- South Allegheny School District
- South Butler County School District
- Steel Valley
- Sto Rox School District
- Trinity Area School District
- Turkeyfoot Valley Area School District
- Urban Pathways 6-12 Charter School
- Urban Pathways K-5 College Charter School
- West Mifflin Area School District
- Western Beaver County SD
- Westinghouse Arts Academy
- What School District are you in?
- Windber Area
- Woodland Hills
The three schools with the greatest increase in percent participation compared to October 2018 will receive unrestricted prize money.
1st place: $1,500
2nd place: $1,000
3rd place: $500
Adagio Health Power Up Program will also provide the winning schools with a food demo/tasting or a fun period of physical activity.
Registration Deadline: Monday, September 30, 2019
Challenge Dates: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 – Thursday, October 31, 2019
Awards Announcement: The winning schools will be announced during National School Breakfast Week (March 2 – 6, 2020).
A special thank you to our partners Adagio Health, Allies for Children and American Dairy Association North East!