The Southwestern PA School Breakfast Challenge 2019!
By Ryan Dunning
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Challenge!
Thank you all so much for your hard work in October to make sure that more kids are eating School Breakfast each day! There we a lot of creative ideas and a lot of successes – please let us know how we can help you keep that momentum going! We hope this was fun for you and your schools, and that your students will continue to reap the benefits of increased School Breakfast participation.
The Challenge: increase participation in school breakfast.
Far too many low-income students aren’t getting the nutrition they need to support school success. School breakfast can help! When kids have a healthy breakfast, it not only supports good health but also enhances their ability to learn and succeed. On average, 123,000 low-income children eat school lunch each day in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Only 56.7 percent of these students are eating school breakfast. Help Pennsylvania become a Hunger-Free PA!
Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Somerset, Washington and Westmoreland counties are eligible to participate. All participating schools will receive a small prize courtesy of Adagio Health.
Registration for this challenge is closed. If you have any questions, please contact Chris West (412-745-6495 or email@example.com).
What’s next for the Challenge?
As a thank you to all of you for being a part of the Challenge, Adagio Health will be providing small thank you gifts for each participating school. These gifts will be delivered before the end of December by either the Adagio or Food Bank teams.
Beginning in February, the top-performing schools will be determined using the data from the PA. Department of Education. At this time, we will also gather the best practices from the top-performing schools.
Beginning in March, the winning schools will be announced and prizes will be awarded! We will also share best practices from the winning schools and report the increase in participation seen among the challenge participants. Only one cash prize will be awarded per school district.
265 schools from 78 different school districts participated in this year’s Challenge!
- Allegheny Valley
- Avella Area School District
- Baden Academy Charter School
- Baldwin-Whitehall School District
- Beaver Area SD
- Bethlehem Center School District
- Big Beaver Falls Area
- Blacklick Valley S.D.
- Brentwood Borough School District
- Brownsville Area School District
- Canon McMillan School District
- Chartiers Valley School District
- City Charter High School
- Clairton City
- Conemaugh Valley
- Deer Lakes
- Derry Area
- Diocese of Greensburg Catholic Schools
- Diocese of Pittsburgh
- Duquesne City School District
- Ellwood City Area School District
- Forest Hills
- Franklin Regional
- Freedom Area
- Freeport Area
- Greater Johnstown
- Hopewell Area
- Indiana area school district
- Kiski Area
- Laurel School District
- Marion Center Area School District
- Meyersdale Area School District
- Moon Area School District
- Mount Pleasant
- New Brighton
- New Kensington Arnold School District
- North Allegheny
- North Hills School District
- North Star
- Northgate School District
- Penn Hills
- Penn Hills
- Penn-Trafford School District
- Pittsburgh School District
- Plum Borough School District
- Provident Charter School
- Quaker Valley School District
- Richland SD
- Riverside Beaver
- Rochester Area
- Shaler Area School District
- Shanksville-Stonycreek SD
- Shenango Area School District
- Somerset Area School District
- South Allegheny School District
- South Butler County School District
- Steel Valley
- Sto Rox School District
- Trinity Area School District
- Turkeyfoot Valley Area School District
- Urban Pathways 6-12 Charter School
- Urban Pathways K-5 College Charter School
- West Mifflin Area School District
- Western Beaver County SD
- Westinghouse Arts Academy
- What School District are you in?
- Windber Area
- Woodland Hills
The three schools with the greatest increase in percent participation compared to October 2018 will receive unrestricted prize money.
1st place: $1,500
2nd place: $1,000
3rd place: $500
Adagio Health Power Up Program will also provide high performing schools with a food demo/tasting or a fun period of physical activity.
Registration Deadline: Monday, September 30, 2019
Challenge Dates: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 – Thursday, October 31, 2019
Awards Announcement: The winning schools will be announced during National School Breakfast Week (March 2 – 6, 2020).
Even though the challenge is over, increasing school breakfast participating should be an on-going effort! Our Child Nutrition Outreach Coordinators are here to work with you any time of the year to brainstorm ideas, pilot initiatives, provide resources, meet with school staff and share best practices. Please reach out to us at any time, we are here always to help!
Allegheny County – Chris West, firstname.lastname@example.org
Armstrong, Beaver, Butler and Lawrence Counties – Tabitha Reefer, email@example.com
Cambria, Indiana, and Somerset Counties – Chelsey Novak, firstname.lastname@example.org
Greene, Fayette, and Washington Counties – Mara Babilya, email@example.com
A special thank you to our partners Adagio Health, Allies for Children and American Dairy Association North East!