Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act Signed Into Law
On December 2, the House of Representatives passed the Healthy, Hungry-Free Kids Act (S.3307). Signed into law by President Obama on December 13, this important piece of legislation is a victory for hungry children. If your Representative voted in support of this important piece of legislation, visit the Hunger Action Center today to express your appreciation of their support.
A few highlights of the new law:
- Expands the CACFP Afterschool Meal Program to all 50 states (currently operates only in 13 states)
- Eliminates limits on the number of Summer Food sites each sponsor can run (currently each sponsor cannot operate more than 25 sites)
- Authorizes $20 million dollars for Summer Food Support grants for sponsors to establish and maintain programs
- Makes foster children automatically eligible for free school meals
- Eliminates complex administrative tasks for determining eligibility for children
- Increases the nutritional quality of meals provided to children
- Allows state WIC agencies the option to certify children for up to one year (currently children must be certified every 6 months)
Click here to read the remarks by President Obama and the First Lady during the signing of the bill.
Click here for a comparison of provisions of the new law related to the current law.